Friday, February 15, 2008

Gun Control: I am NOT so RIGHT


With all of the shootings in the news lately I feel the need to opine on this subject. There are some areas where I am not so conservative. The right to bear arms is one of them. I hope my brother doesn't read this he will be so mad at me. I know there are responsible people who own guns and citizen's have every right to defend themselves and their families. I also think hunting is a sport and don't think it is bad as long as the meat is used for consumption. Disgusting as it is. However after my husband and I got married I told him I didn't want ANY guns in the house whatsoever. I don't like them. I have been very strict with my son not being able to have shooting video games at all. He is also not allowed to play them at arcades. these games have had an affect on our society. Parents are letting video games raise their kids and TV and movies are no better. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that society is getting more and more violent. I don't want to raise a child that is desensitized to violence at an early age. He has never had a toy gun, because to me guns are not toys. I ask his friends parents if there are guns in the house before he can play at their home. We have talked about what to do if a child is playing with a gun. I just don't see the need for people to have guns period. That is the choice we have made and others can make their choices. It is too easy for the criminal to get guns from other criminals. I know criminals not guns kill people, but guns definately rush the process. Really if the government wanted to take over its citzens they have nuclear bombs and they would win that fight. I am not saying take the guns away, I am only saying can we keep them away from the whack jobs??? Evidently the President has legislation in the works to further the research on an individual before a fire arm is sold to them. If the person is taking anti-phsychotic meds or something similar or has had a recent vacation to the loony bin they can't obtain a gun. Seems like a no brainer. Mentally ill people should not be able to own a gun. This is what the NRA is freaking out about. could it be because they themselves are whack jobs? I hate people who hyper-focus on one issue.
Too many shootings in this country. Too many young men being glamorized in the media. We don't need to see their faces or know their names. Keep those details out of these tragic stories. STOP gloryfying the perp. I am for tougher laws and enforcing the ones we have. Call me a non-pure constitutionalist, but I am a mother. I hate to see these young men whose hearts are failing them. Who is to blame? I don't know the answer. I do believe in personal responsibility and I don't really think tougher gun laws will stop a determined killer, but it may delay one. Let the 2nd amendment gurus sort it out. As for me and my house......no guns please.

14 comments:

icanseeclearlynow said...

LOL! nikki, nikki! upon reading this post i got a visual in my head, because of the picture accompanying it: we're standing in a corner, my back is to your front, my arms spread behind me. an angry crowd in front of me, everyone's yelling including you. and i'm telling the crowd, BACK OFF! leave her alone! LOL!

i TOTALLY agree with you on the gun issue! i never allowed my kids to play with toy guns either. i know this country is SERIOUS about their right to bear arms. so i am not trying to make an arguement agains THAT.

funny i should come across this post today. last night my hubby and i watched "the brave one." it SUCKED, might have well been written by a fantasizing teenager. but the story depicted how easy it is to buy a gun off the black market. changing our gun laws is not going to improve gun control. if this issue is to be seriously addressed (and i don't believe it will be because there's a lot of powerful, legitimate business people involved behind the scenes and a lot of money in it), the black market of gun trading needs to be tackled.

that's my two sense. another good one, nik!

later gator.

:)

maria

Nikki said...

LOL....seriously that may happen!!! I will change my name to protect my innocence!!! I agree with you on black market crap....what can be done I have no idea. Take better care of our kids I guess....have a great weekend!!! And watch out for those grand theft auto dudes!!! luv ya Nikki

CHATTI PATTI said...

If comment boxes could hold pictures, I would post the following pictures that represent your post more accurately than Wesley Snipes:

*Brenda Spencer, Nathan Ferris, Jamie Rouse, Barry Loukantis, David Dubose, Evan Ramsey, Luke Woodham, Michael Carneal, Andrew Golden, Andrew Wurst, Kip Kinkel,Dylan Klebold, Eric Harris, Timothy McVeigh.......All White Anglo Saxon Protestants who not only sing violent songs or watch violent movies, BUT CARRIED OUT SOME OF THE MOST GRUESOME CRIMES WITH A ammo!

Nikki said...

The picture is of the video game grand theft auto. You are right there are plenty of white people killing people. I didn't choose the race of the people in the video game I only chose the picture because of my mentioning violent games in my post. I didn't display it for any other purpose. The race of the idividuals in the picture were on no consequence other than being a vide game. let's nto drag race into this debate as well.
Nikki

Nikki said...

typo "of no consequence"

CHATTI PATTI said...

My husband is a hunter also. I despise all the ammo he owns. I hate it with a passion. You ask, "Who is to blame?" God only knows. However, my husband told me that if if the students on this campus had the right to bear arms on campus, maybe psychos would be less reluctant to their joy shooting sprees. It wouldn't prevent anyone getting killed, but it might prevent MANY from getting killed. I'd hate to live in a society where everyone was "packing," but it could be better than just a few psychos pakcing and having a field day doing it. Confusing to understand, but hell, what is one to think about all this? How does one logically process all this nonsense? I'm terrified for my 17 (soon to be 18) year old son to leave the safe and quiet enviornment he was raised in. We live in a small rural community that is soooooooo safe! I'm so scared.

Freadom said...

I believe even Ronald Reagan would agree with you here.

Freadom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Freadom said...

I believe even Ronald Reagan would agree with you here. You're ideas about guns are not so far out.

Anonymous said...

Trust me Nik, Im not mad at you, it is an interesting issue. My biggest problem is the knee jerk reaction people have, and the few ruining it for the rest of us. To me a gun is a tool. I use this tool every day, and am rarely with out it. The reason I am rarely with out it, is I personally know all of the crazies in this valley. Trust me none of us is a safe as we want to believe. I do not have a problem with a waiting period or thorough back ground check though. One thing to remember, mental illness falls under HIPPA. That information will never be available. Have a day.

Mike T

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nikki said...

hey Freadom......thanks for popping in and I think you are "right" about Reagan!!! :)Nikki



Mike, great points. Am I not suppose to have a "Nice" day, just a day?? jk thanks for the comment now my readers will know my big brother is a cop and maybe they will be nicer to me!! haha :)N

Nikki said...

comments deleted are duplicates...FYI

Anonymous said...

Yeah stupid thing posted my comment twice. I think this comment form needs a spell check. OK have a great day!
MT