Monday, April 7, 2008

Bob Dylan Wins Pulitzer


I don't have much to say about this other than so much for that prize being worth a crap. I can sing better than Bob Dylan and I can't sing at all. True he started the long song thing and wrote brilliant songs such as "Like a Rolling Stone" that never ended. It was the first of its kind. A long playing song that no one liked but the radio played it anyway. He should be in jail for that one. Bob Dylan sucks. I am sorry if you are a fan but you have bad taste or you are high. I don't listen to Dylan. I certainly wouldn't ever use real money to murder my own eardrum. It just seems that if music is only good when you are in Alice and Wonderland and Puff the Magic Dragon land, then it probably sucks. I will give him credit for some coined phrases of his era such as "The answer my friend is blowin in the wind" whoa. I'm speechless. Such meaningful poetry about air and angel dust. I am not sure what he meant by "blowin in the wind" but I have my guesses. Oh the days of causes and social unrest. Problems were solved with drugs and sex. It was all about love, and drugs helped you love MORE!
"Hey Mr. Tambourine Man" is a tune that will put you to sleep better than a narcotic. Send his music to Guantanamo Bay and skip the water-boarding. Play a Dylan record and the terrorists will cry like little girls for the torture to stop. I know I do when I hear a Dylan song. His voice sounds like a car that won't start and the driver is pushing the gas revving the engine again and again and again. But such is the taste of the culturally and socially conscience. I just don't get it. Oh well, congrats to Bob Dylan. You did it buddy, you convinced someone somewhere with some clout that you were good. I think they were blowin in the wind like a rolling stone.

10 comments:

namaste said...

alrighty then. duly noted. nikki thinks bob dylan sucks! LOL! all the fire in this post can only lead me to think one thing. this guy stood you up at the prom and you're still pining after him. OR! he skipped town with your share of a successful bank job you both did. ok ok. kidding! you don't like bob. i got it.

;)

~m

Nikki said...

Actually I was laughing when I wrote it...just a little jab at the musically worshipped who have no reason to be worshipped. I will post Bob singing a song and trust me your ears will feel raped...haha:)N

namaste said...

LOL! after i read this post, i went to music playlist and listened to one of his songs before my comment. i remember him. you're right, not the best voice. but an icon of his era. hmmm... blowing in the wind. ya know, if you listen closely, there are some answers blowing around. *giggle*

;)

Nikki said...

It was a bad era! Trying to find a decent movie in the 60's and 70's is near impossible. And the decor and architecture from that time period...oi. lots of LSD, angel dust and pcp clogging the creative juices! slow news. though General Petreaus is on capital hill getting grilled by the big 3 so it will be back to politics!!! :)N

Mike said...

Hey, Nikki. One small item of note, the Pulitzer Dylan received was honorary.

As for the man himself, amusing as your rant is, I think you might have him confused with The Beatles. They were definitely heavily into the drug culture. I don't think Dylan was (though I'll go out on a limb and guess that he did his fair share.) He was more about politics and social change than hippie culture. That clip that you posted of him is from the concert where he first played with an all electric band. He was booed and heckled up to the point where he started playing that song. One person even called him "Judas," for selling out his folk roots.

My favorite song of his is Tangled Up In Blue which is about a woman, I believe. If you check it out, you'll see his voice wasn't always so nasally and annoying.

Great post. I get the feeling you aren't too keen on the 60s/70s drug culture. :)

Nikki said...

Hi Mike, I hope you are watching the questioning of General Petraeus, it is such great blogging material and I am afraid I may be harping on Iraq for the next few posts if I can get my act together...I know I probably have mucicians in my "like" column that would send most people worshipping the porceline chair myself. I am going to listen to your song and let you know if it is any better...I didn't know there was a difference between the social and political gurus and hippies. I think the 60's ruined the democratic party but that is another post...thanks for the comment! :)N

Nikki said...

watched it and the guitar was very good, and I think eminem gets his lyrics from Dylan...for real! thanks for the link :)N

ba and the boys said...

i guess if they can give a noble prize for lies and an oscar for crap to an ex-vp, they can give pulitzar to a crappy old song writer.

Sandi said...

I grew up during Dylan's heyday and never really got his popularity. But he was angry, we were angry, so it all seemed to work. Ah, the 60's.

Nikki said...

His poularity is a mystery there is no doubt about that. The sixties were a decade of strangeness. Let's put it out of our mind..haha thanks for the comment :)N