Sunday, April 6, 2008

FYI...TEXAS CHURCH NOT MORMONS

I thought I would clear up some misconceptions and idiocy. I have read a few blogs claiming that the polygamists in Texas are Mormons. They are not. Let me repeat, they are not Mormons. The media with their ignorant reporting, you would think that they are LDS. Any person who practices polygamy is from a fundamentalist, fanatical break off from the early church who did in fact practice polygamy. The practice stopped in 1890 and is no longer practiced. There were those who wished to continue, for pervert purposes or whatever. They are not affiliated with the current church. Here is the church's official statement:

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reiterated Sunday that it has no affiliation whatever with a polygamous sect in Texas that has been subject to investigation by state law enforcement officers and child protective services. The Church discontinued polygamy officially in 1890, but more than a century later some news and Internet reports fail to draw clear distinctions between the Church and practicing polygamous sects."


If you have any questions regarding my religion I would be happy to answer them. I am not afraid of any question. I would be happy to discuss polygamy, blacks in the church, magic stuff or whatever crazy thing anyone thinks they know. This is just an FYI, but also an invitation to educate. Just thought I would clarify.

12 comments:

namaste said...

ok. got it!

;)

~m

Nikki said...

Too many retards out there to not say something...one inparticular! :)N

Anthony Palmer said...

Politics is perception, unfortunately.

I wonder if Mitt Romney was asked about this? If so, that would be quite unfair.

Nikki said...

Great Point Anthony! I do think it would be a fair question for him to answer however, people do get confused when the media is misstating the facts. I understand there are plenty of misconceptions about my religion and he does too. But you are right politics is about perception, even though at times the perception is incorrect. Thanks for the comment! :)N

Anonymous said...

I would argue that the Texas breakaway sect represents the Mormon church, as it was under Joseph Smith, much better than the current Mormons do.

I think that current 'True Mormons' are the breakaway mormons.

Do you have any long term confidence that the church values you hold dear today, won't be obsolete in a few years? The last few presidents seem to be very willing to redefine what it means to be a Mormon to fit the current moral standard.

Nikki said...

Anonymous, I suppose if you didn't believe Wilford Woodruff was a prophet of God then you could argue that point. Not everyone in the Church practiced polygamy so it is as easily agruable that only some were practicing true mormonism under Joseph Smith. The point is moot. Last I checked polygamy is against the law and since we believe in being law abiding citizens and Wilford Woodruff declared polygamy a fulfilled prophecy then yes I am comfortable. The Church can only function in a society where we co-exist. How can the church thrive under societal exclusion like Brigham Young wanted. It was John Taylor that joined America and infiltrated Mormons in society. What morals have been compromised? I see none. It is my choice who I deem and the successor to the Prophet Joseph Smith and it was Brigham Young. Others chose to go against the 12 and the current prophets declaration. That is their decision. You see where it has gone. Cultish in nature and abusive to women and children. I would hardly call that Gods will. :)N

Anonymous said...

I believe that all people can be prophets of god, so I won't say that Wilford wasn't inspired.

I just hate to see the church attack what is in essence, it's roots.

I've seen Polygamist communities first hand, as well as in documentaries and I don't broad handedly brand them all as perverts.

Nikki said...

Anonymous, I live in Utah and saw a polygamist today. I went to school with them and the ones who are inter-mingled in the city are not perverts, however the groups in Colorado city and the one in Texas clearly are. The topic was regarding the FLDS sect in Texas which clearly is a perverted outfit. The Church did not attack the outfit but they do clarify the distiction between the themselves and the fundamentalist sect. Why would the church want to be seen as a cult that is laced with pedophilia and abuse. They have an obligation to the members to correct the obvious ignorance of the media. :)N

Anonymous said...

There are fundamentalist Mormons and there are fundamentalist Muslims.

Hug a regular muslim today. :-)

P.S. This is Paul, heckling your blog for kicks.

Nikki said...

PAULLY WOG!! Have you been stalking my blog all day?? I have to admit I thought it was you because of my tracker and because of Chris sending out the link to the cousins...I just got off the phone with her...She said there was no way you were a HRC supporter and I said yes he is...tell me it isn't so. What is going on?? I saw a picture of you today with the new nephew. Very handsome. And there will be no hugging muslims, they like to goose at least the arabs in Isreal do...haha :)N

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a day or so, on and off. It's good reading. :-)

Nikki said...

Thanks for reading and thanks for the compliment! The Mormon thread thing is funny. I thought it was Woody for a minute and then I thought no whoever it is they are too nice...Woody would have ripped me one by now! Keep coming back and feel free to not be anonymous. The blog has been fun and keeps me busy! Great to hear from you...I miss seeing you guys and the good old days of cousin fun! :)N