Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ed Koch MAY defect to McCain


Ed Koch one of America's most prominent influential Jewish-Americans and democrat is leaning towards John McCain in the general election, according to News Max. He is a Hillary Clinton supporter and supported President Bush in the '04 election which many think helped Bush carry Florida. If Barack Obama becomes the nominee, Koch questions the candidates association with Jeremiah Wright and domestic terrorist William Ayers. Koch says that Islamic terrorism is his number one concern and John McCain is strong on this issue, but Ed disagrees with him on his domestic policies. To me this strikes at a potential problem for Barack Obama. His "appeasementgate" showed him in a very inexperienced light and proved that he is inexperienced on foreign affairs. According to some reports Obama has a clear lead among young Jewish voters while Hillary is preferred by older Jewish voters. These are the voters in question who may travel to the McCain camp based on Jeremiah Wright and the Hamas issue. The Jewish blog I read clearly says...
"the Gallup poll that was quoted did not know yet the extent to which the Wright affair will influence the Jewish vote (the Gallup poll, though, can give some indication that it did not hurt badly Obama so far). I believe that John McCain has a better chance of gaining more Jewish voters than his two Republican predecessors (Bush & Bush) did, and I also believe that future surprises might change the tendencies of some of the Jewish voters"
Opinion by Shmuel Rosner Chief U.S. Correspondent of www.haaretz.com. Israel is keeping their eye on this election. Trust me on that one.

7 comments:

Karen said...

I, too, have read that the Jewish vote is now very much in play with Obama as the candidate. And I am not surprised by Koch's opinion. He's been a strong Bush supporter for the war on terrorism and look at the strong support for McCain coming from Joe Leiberman.

Nikki said...

Karen, absolutely. I forgot about my boy Joe! Though I think most dems consider him a Benedict Arnold of the party. Joe is not a partisan and understands this threat as do the Jewish people first hand...:)N

Freadom said...

Isn't it true that George W. Bush was the first pro-Israeli president? I'm sure I read that somewhere. It seems to me republicans have been more pro-Israel lately anyway. And with Obama wanting to talk with thugs, I can imagine why Jews might cringe at the prospect of an Obama presidentcy. Just a thought.

Nikki said...

Freadom, this is why he is doing the two step dance when it comes to his foreign policy. Because of the Jewish cringe, you hit it on the head in my mind. Reagan was very pro-Israel. Clinton and Bush 41 were both pro Israel. However Clinton IMO was the 1st President that conversed with Arafat and legitimized his leadership emboldening the terror movement IMO. thanks for the comment! :)N

Khaki Elephant said...

I seem to recall the Prime Minister saying that Bush was the best friend Isreal had ever had in the White House. Anecdotally, I have two Jewish friends who used to argue with me about politics but came to the light during the Bush administration. I think Obama will put the Jewish vote in play for two primary reasons: his overtures to Iran and his association with antisemites.

Incognito said...

let's hope... he'll still vote Hill if she gets the nom.. (and anything can happen) but I sure pray he does defect to our side... can only help.

Nikki said...

Incognito...talk about bitter people clinging to something other than Obama...:)N