Friday, May 23, 2008

GREAT AMERICANS


An artist in Utah has been giving families of fallen soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan portraits as gifts of appreciation. It has been on the news here in Utah, but has recently gained national attention. Artist Kaziah Hancock contacts the families of fallen soldiers by mail and asks if they are interested in a portrait of their son, husband, wife, daughter or relative. The family then mails a picture of the loved one with a letter describing the soldiers personality, and she in turn does a portrait. The portraits are stunning. She has done more than 450 of them herself at no charge. Kaziah paints at her goat farm in Manti Utah and has started a non-profit organization called "Project Compassion". Project Compassion started in 2003 as Kaziah heard of a fallen soldier in Utah. She decided to offer a painting to honor the soldier and the family. The project trickled from there. She said her offering is "just a gift from one American to another". Kaziah says she tells them "I love you guys, you're beautiful and here's something to honor your precious son." Since the death toll has grown she has become more dedicated to giving each family a portrait of their fallen soldier. It now includes 5 artists, 4 in Utah and 1 in California. They complete about 50 portraits a month and have done more than 1000 all together. I think this is such an amazing story. I love stories of Americans who are truly making a difference. To me this is inspiring...
In this time of remembering, let's make a concerted effort to pay tribute to fallen and fighting soldiers. They truly are fighting for our freedom, our way of life and our right to blog about whatever we want. Let's do more than give lip service and do something for our soldiers and their families who are sacrificing so much. Whether we agree in the cause or not, I think we all agree that our men and women in uniform are heroes! I stand in awe of them and thank them for the brave service they do for me daily. And to those of you who have loved ones you are remembering, you are in my thoughts. Have a safe weekend everyone and stay safe!

11 comments:

Debbie said...

What a wonderful idea. I love hearing stories about Americans like this who celebrate our heroes.

Thanks for visiting and the kind words at Right Truth. Much appreciated. Don't be a stranger, I love making new blog friends. I think we might be kindred spirits.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

Nikki said...

Hey Debbie, WOW that was fast! glad you enjoyed the write up...and I think you are right, kindred spirits for sure and I love making new blog friends too. I will head to your neck of the woods regularly for sure...:)N

namaste said...

nik, this is a TRUE and REAL memorial day tribute. what a WONDERFUL story! you are so great for finding this for us. THANKS! and a safe and enjoyable memorial day weekend to you too girlie! hugs! ;)

~maria

Nikki said...

thanks Maria you little traveling babe, have such a great time that the perma-grin will have to be surgically removed! Now that is a FUN! yyyaaayyy vacay time for Maria...be safe girl luv ya! :)N

Khaki Elephant said...

Great story, Nikki.
Thanks for sharing it!

Thinking Sage said...

Thats excellent. Those people rock for sure.


Whether we agree in the cause or not, I think we all agree that our men and women in uniform are heroes!

I think you are wrong here though. I think as much as 15% of the population thinks they are killers and wish them ill, I really believe that.

good post.

Nikki said...

hey Khaki, fancy seeing you roaming around!! glad to have you awol from the old vacay...:)N

Sage, If there is 15% that thinks that then screw them! they suck. thanks for reading! :)N

Karen said...

I've seen her and heard her story, I think it was on 60 Minutes, or a show like that one. She made my eyes tear up. What a sincere and unselfish woman. One person can make a difference.

Happy Memorial Day weekend to you and yours.

Nikki said...

Hey Karen, a very touching story, yes. Thanks for the Memorial day wishes and same to you! I hope you have a great weekend and stay safe. :)N

Sandi said...

What an incredible thing for someone to do. No matter how anyone feels about the war, the young men and women fighting deserve our respect. While I don't support the war, I totally support those who are over there fighting it.

ba and the boys said...

what amazes me about wwII vets are that there are 1000 who die everyday. what is amazing is that there are that many around. and 1000 is alot daily.
vets, and any who really helped with the war effort...like these artists, rosie the riviter, people who actually changed their lives to help the cause. i feel in america today (and include me) we care about the war and the vets, but daily it doesnt affect our lives.
n-for once i am going to say that YOU ARE A GOOD EXAMPLE and we should all remember those who died for our freedom.