Thursday, January 15, 2009

COSTLY INAUGURATIONS


Back in 2005, John Tierney of the New York Times did a piece about the cost and appropriateness of the Presidential inauguration as it flowed upwards of an estimated 40 to 70 million. John wasn't the only journalist having a conniption. Plenty were bent about the cost and the extravagant parades that required massive amounts of security adding what many felt was unnecessary dollars. The press found the celebration inappropriate due to the dying soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. Their concern was indeed overwhelming. I can't say I buy into the press showing the military any love.
This inauguration is running upwards of 110 million dollars and maybe more, and that is the scaled down version as Obama thinks it is inappropriate to celebrate while so many in the country are experiencing hardship due to the economy. So I am waiting for the press to have a freaking cow about this, the most costly inauguration celebration in history. Soldiers are still serving and dying and people are struggling to make ends meet. This celebration is getting far too out there with the likes of Usher, Will i am and some other entertainment gurus who should be doing this gig for free...remember democrats are men and women of the PEOPLE and celebrities speak the loudest for the donkey party. So where is the outrage, the heads shaking in disgust, hands going up in the air about "the man" and his display of wealth while the people are suffering? I will open a bag of chips and wait for the masses to cry in agony for the irony. Though, I can't decide if I am going to watch this inauguration. While I want Obama to succeed, I find it difficult to look hypocrisy in the face without floating an air biscuit and sometimes I don't feel much like kneeling down and worshipping the porcelain God. So bring on the rationale and excuses dems, I will be waiting for your moral clarity to proclaim that this 110 million dollar obnoxious display of celebration on January 20th is indeed grossly inappropriate. Let's be consistent with our outrage, that is all I ask.

14 comments:

Clay said...

Never before in the history of man has so much been spent to celebrate someone who has done so little.

Nikki said...

Clay, its a phenomenon...:)N

namaste said...

110 MILLION DOLLARS?! that just friggin ridiculous!

i have NEVER watched an inauguration ball in my life and i sure don't plan on watching this one. snoozer! what fun could it possibly be to sit on your couch and watch a party among a bunch of fake ppl?

70 million, 110 million?!! that really pisses me right the hell off!

Nikki said...

Maria! It is so much money and to think that its been scaled back...seriously Obama and his ego, its time for some humility, I suspect it will come soon, but not soon enough! :)N

Marci said...

I have been preparing a post in my head for the past few days entitled Obama vs. The Ringling Brothers Circus. It makes me sick to hear him speak about how much he cares, and the bail out package he plans and then see this. However, I suppose he can just print more money to pay the celebs, who think their politicians, for their time. Scary to think where he is going to be getting advice from. Although maybe I am missing something like grammy/oscar=brains?
Oh yeah, I heard the menu the other day and felt really sorry that his kids are going to have to be there to choke it all down!

Nikki said...

Marci, that is a great way to describe it, definitely a circus! I will watch for the post or give me a heads up when you post it! :)N

DB said...

I find that calling one a hypocrite merely makes onself a hypocrite. But of course, John Tierney (who?) speaks for everyone on the left and the right is never a bunch of hypocrites.

Funny, because in 2005 it was Republicans defending inaugural costs. So it sounds like the hypocrisy charge should go all around and not just to the side one happens to agree with.

Oh, but this is different, it is Obama and everything he does is one of three things: 1) just plain wrong, 2) badly wrong, or 3) terribly wrong.

Didn't the right complain that this is how people viewed Bush? Once again, hypocrisy is not limited to just one side. Oh, and of course everyone wants Obama to succeed. Wait, I thought the right was against politically correct statements?

We have established that the left are a bunch of hypocrites. But what does that make the right for walking in their footsteps?

Let's be consistent with our outrage, that is all I ask.

Nikki said...

DB, I never called Obama a hypocrite I called democrats who were outraged 4 years ago hypocrites...I take issue with democrats for their behavior and not necessarily Obama...and yes I am a hypocrite I admit it. Never said I wasn't. :)N

Sandi said...

I will definitely be watching the Inauguration itself. But I've never watched the rest of the festivities - the balls, parades, myriad of tv shows. The actual swearing in is the only piece that should always occur. The rest is just fluff. Even if the money is coming from outside contributions, that money could be put to much better use elsewhere. And, if they want to have one party, that's fine - it is something to celebrate. But the extent of the events and the cost is just wrong.

And I'm an Obama fan!!

t.durham said...

Nikki, this is merely high priced brainwashing. This is propaganda of the highest nature. Pay close attention to this spectacle. I believe the enemy, and make no mistake these people are our enemies, will tell us everything in their hearts if you watch closely. Knowing Obama's politics and his "communist bent", we don't want him to succeed.If he succeeds in what he wants it will be the end of our country!

It's Me said...

Oh puh-leez! I consider it a day to celebrate ''NO MORE BUSH DAY!" Americans are embracing our new president in ways never seen before. How unusual, huh? Hell yeah, it's unusual....and at the same time, for those of us who embrace our new president, it will be a GREAT DAY!! This country spends millions of dollars celebrating certain events and holidays. For crying out loud, this is the president of the USA who happens to be the CHOICE OF AMERICA....

So, go ahead, all you patriotic people.....pout, moan, complain, and throw your frigging hissy fits on Jan 20th...but the MAJORITY of United States patriots will be celebrating and embracing! America spoke on election day. Love it or stick your head in mud and keep whining!

Maybe on that day you whiners can go out and feed the homeless, bail out friends in financial need, visit a sick person in the hospital, go visit the graves of fallen soldiers, or perhaps even help out in our distressed schools. Do something productive instead of sitting around bitching and eating a pint of ice cream.

Nikki said...

it's me...pay backs a bitch isn't it? :)N

Nikki said...

Let me just add that the number is up to 170 million...nice going Obama

Freadom said...

I've spoken out about the needless cost of inaugurations since I was 18 and my college hired a new president. I thought it was frivolous back then (1988) to spend 3 million dollars for a party. Obama's inauguration is going to cost way more than that, and during a recession.