Tuesday, January 20, 2009

INAUGURATION THOUGHTS


I have a few thoughts on the inauguration. If you don't care what they are, then click the x in the right hand corner or move on to another blog. Its not mandatory reading, though it should be. HA!
I watched most of the coverage this morning and skipped the hooplah this evening as I don't really care which celebrities convinced zombie Americans to vote for Obama. I watched the motorcade and the dignitaries, some are not so dignified, and listened to the commentary on Fox, since I thought their coverage would be less sexually invasive than the other channels. I was right, it was. It was great coverage, but I suspect that unless there are tongues down throats, then it was typical conservative Fox news.
I enjoyed watching our democracy in action, even though I think a bunch of tools are taking over or are still in power. I watched President Clinton to see if he tried to goose either of the Bush twins and thought I saw him throw-up a little when the first real black President showed up.
Al Gore looked like a girl. His blond hair was strange and he needs to come out of the closet soon so that Tipper can have a real man in her life and not some climate bunny. Hillary cornered Senator Cornyn and threatened to kick his ass if he didn't let her be the Secretary of State soon, and President Carter is either a corpse or he slept through most of the ceremony.
Aretha Franklin wins... she had the best hat on I have ever seen in my whole life. No snark here! It was freaking awesome and I think they should mass produce it. I will buy one for sure...I absolutely loved it! I am a sucker for bows and bling. You go Aretha! You have my R-E-S-P-E-C-T! You looked great and are a legend!
President Obama's family is beautiful. His children are precious. His one daughter asked if he really was the first African American President and he said yes to which she replied "you better be good". From the mouths of babes the truth is always spoken.

President Bush was welcomed with boos and the song nah, nah, nah nah, hey hey hey good-bye. Classy democrats. You never let me down with your disgusting treatment of your President and then sing the "let's be united" song as though we should all hop on the bandwagon of your new found mandate. No thanks. I think I will stay a hater. You have fun in la-la land while the rest of us choke.
Bush was absolutely gracious. I got a lump in my throat at the end of Obama's speech when he went over to the President first and 43 hugged Obama and told him he did a great job. I found that to be a touching piece of humanity offered by rivals.Obama looked very humbled. He looks like a man who has been sufficiently briefed or debriefed, and has had a reality check of the 3rd kind. His demeanor was a little flat in my opinion. His speech was just OK and lacked the passion that was so evident in previous speeches. I have a theory about this. When you believe something so strongly, the speech giver and receiver connect, and that is how great speeches reach the hearts and minds of the audience. This was different. The passion was not there. Its much like writing. A reader can feel the passion in the written word when the author gives so passionately that the message or story is forever in the mind of the reader. I didn't feel that here as I have in other speeches given by Obama. Needless to say, it was well delivered, but flat. My theory is that he is no longer in the same la-la land as his followers and has seen reality and can no longer promise with the fervor he once did. Thus, the part in the speech about personal responsibility and accountability.
In reality democrats, it isn't Obama's responsibility to rescue you. You must rescue yourselves. I suspect your demands of him are overwhelming. Your lives are in his hands and that is some scary shit, when you are blind rats that have fooled yourselves for so long that it was Bush keeping you down. What if it is really you that is keeping you down? Chew on that one parasites.
Much was said today about the "historicalness" of this occasion. I relished that aspect of the day. I felt genuinely happy for so many black Americans for this amazing moment in history. I felt happy for myself and for my child that will grow up in a world that offers opportunities to all men, but not to women, and that is a different subject that I will tackle later. The conversations of the day spoke of eased racial tension, more racial equality and racism hopefully coming to an end. Well, I have something to say about that. As much as the world would like to see goodness take over, I am here to state a hard reality...there will always be evil in the world. There will always be those who choose wrong. We will always have the bad apples. But, that doesn't mean we should stop trying to foster good in ourselves, our children and each other. But please stop acting like wickedness and evil can end with our wishing them away or by electing black Presidents. They are here to stay and we can only combat them with honesty and goodness.
God Bless Obama and this great country. This country IS great and I say that with arrogance and pride even as I look back at the struggles and ugliness that once were commonplace. The United States of America is the land of the free and the home of the brave! And I stand in solidarity with the citizens of this nation and with President Obama. I thank President Bush for his service to a country that showed the same ugliness to him that has been shown to many citizens in this country. I hear the people complain often of past governmental abuses to its citizens, but how is it right to abuse the President? The principle is the same. Integrity does not discriminate nor does it stop at the door of those whom we deem unworthy. I would offer to you who ignorantly bash the President that you make yourselves liars as you do so without knowing that of which you speak. Are you better than slanderous stone throwing pharisees?
Let's get to work people. Now you can be productive citizens because you have your spoiled little way. Monday January 19th, unproductive. Tuesday January 20th, productive. Strange little hamsters aren't you. Pavlov would have a hey day with the modern day democrat. If it sounds like I am bitter, I am. If it sounds like I am whining, I am. I would love to support this President, but I feel so damn angry at those who want me to give glee. I just can't stomach it. Your party doesn't deserve my accolades, and I say that with total bitterness and whining. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I will be laughing at your hoping and praying, NOT that Obama does a good job, but that he doesn't mess up...because the "what if" fairy will be visiting you in your dreams and "what if" he sucks, or makes a mistake? What if he doesn't...no don't think it. But check my blog. I'll say it.
added later: Oh,and I forgot to say how bad that poem sucked. Seriously any poem with the words "bumble" and "din" in it just ain't good, I don't care how many degrees you have or how many professors say its good. Sucks sucks any way you read it. I know I used the word ain't but I figured I may as well as it will drive the intellectuals nuts and I love doing that.

17 comments:

namaste said...

i'm FIRST dagnammit! i don't have a comment yet, but i'm first. now i'm gonna read the post...

;)

namaste said...

great post nik! oh where to begin?!

re: bill clinton.

"... that i saw him throw up a little when the first real black president showed up." LOL!!

nik, are you friggin kidding me about aretha franklin's hat?! blech! :)

that youngest daughter of prez obama is a ham and i see nothing but trouble in their future with that one.

"they (wickedness & evil) are here to stay and we can only combat them with honesty and goodness."

so true!

great recap and editiorial, nik!

Nikki said...

Maria...lol, yea I love outlandish stuff like that hat and what guts for the old girl to wear it! I love it! :)N

El Cerdo Ignatius said...

Hey Nikki, GREAT post. I would like to add my two cents about the poem: it sucked!

Oh, you mentioned that already. Well, add "boombox" to the list of words that shouldn't be in a poem on Inauguration Day.

EDGE said...

What a terrible hat! Bleh! You've got to be kidding me Nikki!

Chuck said...

I'm loving all of these "can't we all just get along" moments lately. They are not going to come in after 8 years of vitriol for our President, our military, and our country and get a clean slate.

Sandi said...

As soon as I saw the hat, I called Ed and said "Don't EVER buy me anything like that!!" The whole whisking the former Prez away in the helicopter always makes me feel a little uncomfortable - and I must admit the Bushes were very gracious. Bye, bye, now.

I know there are a lot of people out there who hate Obama and live for the day when he does something really bad. But, as we've learned from the past 8 years, when the President screws up, we all pay the price. Hopefully people will hope for the best for him and us, even if they hate the man.

Ducky's here said...

President Bush was welcomed with boos and the song nah, nah, nah nah, hey hey hey good-bye. Classy democrat

---------------

It was a compromise. A lot of us thought "If I Had a Rocket Launcher" would be over the top.

Marci said...

Oh what a day! I agree that the poem sucked, I didn't even listen to the whole thing it was getting to be painful. I loved Aretha's hat in a Baptist Church on Easter Sunday sort of way (love watching the ladies in and out then!) I was so happy that my children got to watch the it at school and happily reported to me that he is the first brown skinned president. Then Alison asked, can a girl be president? I told absolutely, and you can do it if you think you can. She thought for a moment and then said no, I don't even know what the president does! We had some great political conversation in the car yesterday.
I do hope Obama succeeds, because I don't want to listen to people explain to me why it's not his fault. Passing the buck is a pet peeve of mine.
I finally had to turn it all off because I was tired of listening to the excuses already being made for him, his was handed this terrible situation, he is starting in a hard spot. A good leader is a good leader and it doesn't matter where in the game they start they can finish ahead.

namaste said...

so i went to youtube to see what all the disparaging fuss was about on this poem. oh man. that was terrible! she is no maya angelou, that's for sure.

El Cerdo Ignatius said...

It was a compromise. A lot of us thought "If I Had a Rocket Launcher" would be over the top.

Hahahahahahaha!!! Ducky, that's a scream!

ba and the boys said...

ok-poems should just go away. esp when it is so freaking cold out.
i was impressed when michelle gave laura a present on the steps on the white house. i doubt any in coming 1st lady has ever done that to the one leaving.

It's Me said...

Nik,
Another one of your best posts! Ok, I'm with ya on the Aretha Franklin hat! I thought it was absolutely STUNNING! I'm a hat person and I'm also a person who loves clothing articles that are unique! I was swaying and raising my arms when she began singing! Class...class...class!! Old school CLASS!!!!

Prez Clinton looked like he was going to eat the Bush twins alive!! Horny toad!! Hillary looked pissed as usual!

Al Gore looked bloated! Damn, Al! Tipper looked fab!

The Obama family looked fab. Michelle is beautiful. Sasha and Malia looked sooo classy! Love em!

Barbara Bush looked like George Washington!!

Khaki Elephant said...

Barbara Bush looked like George Washington!!

lol. I said to my son, "Look, George Washington made it." Awful but true.

And I loved the hat, but mostly because it was Aretha. Who say Detroit doesn't produce quality . . . well, except for when it comes to football teams and politicians.

Nikki said...

Looks like I am not alone on the hat! I liked Marci's mention of the Easter hats at Baptist churches! I love Easter hats...and for the record I look terrible in hats, but I love them on other people. :)N

Nikki said...

Ducky, so are you for or against murder? I can't tell.

Coby said...

great post! damn girl! you were dead on about wild bill too!