Monday, February 2, 2009

JOHN ADAMS...A Definate MUST Watch


I rented and watched the HBO series on John Adams this last week and it was fantastic. I am not really one of those people who needs a lot of action in a movie to stay entertained. If there is information on something I am interested in I can stay focused. This movie or series was phenomenal. I highly recommend it. The acting was incredible and the screenplay was extremely well written. The characters were fascinating and I even came away a little more educated about the beginnings of my country, therefore, my gratitude and awe are even greater than they were before I watched it. A lot of people like to look at the history of the United States with fault and blame. They take the dark history and have a tainted view of what really happened in the beginning stages of this country being formed. There is no doubt that mistakes were made, but such were the times. History must be looked at through a lens of the beliefs and culture of its day if we are to understand the revolution of thought and progression. Looking back at history with contempt is counter productive and arrogant. Some continue to belittle the sacrifices of our founding fathers and even rationalize their anti-American sentiment because of a maligned philosophical derision of 200 years ago. Imperialism ruled the day and to have a few men who fought and some who thought our way out of such barbaric traditions was absolutely amazing. Philosophical enlightenment pieced this nation together and the constitution was such that it let the people change what was indeed broken, such as slavery.
Something that stuck with me in the movie was a scene when John Adams and his wife, who is a character within herself and a woman to admire, were moving into the White House. The White House was still under construction when they moved in and the scene shows the slaves who did indeed build our nations capital. I was struck by the scene especially having just elected America's first President of African descent. It was a powerful moment for me and one that all Americans should keep in mind as we wrap our minds around this historical time.There were other powerful scenes and I have come to the conclusion that this nation was founded on many differing ideals and thoughts and not one magically agreed upon philosophy. Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence and Benjamin Franklin changed it ever so slightly as to keep the "South" on board with the revolution. John Adams believed in a strong central government while Thomas Jefferson wanted more freedom and liberty and less government. This tradition continues. So it suffices me to say that this nation is really built and should remain a product of the constant hashing of ideas and principles. So let's get back to the argument, IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY!

9 comments:

Sandi said...

I saw this movie. In high school I hated history, now I just love it. And it's great to see a movie that isn't skewed like the stuff we got way back when I WAS in high school! Today they are more realistic. I've also traveled to a few places in Massachusettes and Virginia and seen historical sites, read their stories - it's very powerful. Most of us don't really have a feeling for what they went through or how much we owe them.

namaste said...

this is on my must see list of movies. i love period movies, especiallly when they enlighten me about the history of our country. i came to admire paul giamati in sideways. i think he's one excellent actors that get overlooked. and laura linney is always amazing.

this was a great review, nik. and quite a timely post in light of recent historical events.

Nikki said...

Sandi you are so right! They even show how their teeth rot out and everything...and yes we do owe them! They sacrificed much and we as Americans should do more for our country to show our gratitude! It was John Adams that said he studies politics and war so that his sons can study mathematics...:)N

Nikki said...

Maria you will not be disappointed. Paul Giamatti is AMAZING and Laura Linney steals the show! its a love story too. It shows how John goes to Abigail for advice and her wisdom is wonderful to see in a woman of that era. Let me know when you watch it. :)N

Larry T. Durham said...

Gotta love those dead white european males!

Nikki, I have started a new political blog called Three Ball Dead: http://threeballdead.blogspot.com/

Midst The Hum is still up and running but I found myself pulling my punches (politically speaking) so I decided to create another blog from which to hammer the libs more freely. I've got you blog rolled along with Chuck and geeeeeZ there. The first posts will appear this afternoon.

Thanks for your past patronage. I hope you'll drop by and visit TBD.

El Cerdo Ignatius said...

Hi Nikki. I haven't seen John Adams, but I did see it advertised on a small folder when I stayed at a hotel in New Hampshire last year. The tagline is absolutely stirring - "He United the States of America."

I'll have to check it out.

It's Me said...

Geez, Nikki....you are a phenomenal movie reviewer! i watched the youtube clip and made me watch it even more. thanks! you always deliver!!! :-)

EDGE said...

My sister saw this on HBO when it was on and she said I would really like it. I will have to give it a chance.

Righty64 said...

You are spot on! It is so good, we got the DVD for Christmas! One of my favorite scenes was how the Adams family dealt with the smallpox epidemic. It was amazing! And, I think you have a point that there are always competing visions of the United States. And ALWAYS will be.