Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2001


Each anniversary of 9-11, I try to think of something appropriate to post. I am always at a loss because I feel so strongly that political statements are inappropriate on this day. I have roamed many blogs reading differing accounts of personal experiences of where people were and what they remember from that day. Each and every account is heart wrenching and I feel a connection to the writer as they share such emotional accounts of their experiences of September 2001. No one has forgotten where they were or what they felt that day. Every year on this day, I love all Americans. On this day I feel more pride in my country than on any other day. It is as if we all come together, even if only for one day, and give the collective American hug of I got your back no matter what. It is spectacular how our body's and our minds remember both physically and emotionally the images of September 11, 2001. We don't just remember it, we feel it. I feel it on all the blogs. I feel the sincerity of every person who weeps and writes about their journey from that day to this day. The memories are vivid. The physical reaction of heart felt pain is real, and it is real for every American.
On this day we have one thing in common, we mourn. We mourn the loss of life. We mourn the loss of security. We mourn the loss of innocence. We mourn the loss of control. We mourn as we watch the best of humanity and the worst of humanity. And yet we see each other as we really are on this day. Fellow Americans. No democrats. No republicans. No liberals. No conservatives. Just Americans mourning the loss of a day. September 11th is forever lost and gone forever. No happiness ever again on that day. Only sadness. I feel nothing but reverence on this day. September 11th is a sacred day of remembrance. It is a day to put aside our differences and contentious debates and remember what is truly important. That sounds so cliche and trite, but do it we must. We can still save this day. We can get it back. No contention or debate today. Today is for America and my fellow citizens. I stand with you as Americans side by side. God bless us all. God Bless America...God Bless this day.

4 comments:

skiriki said...

Great post, Nikki. That video above had me in tears again. This will be a tough day to get thru. I put a tribute to one of the victims on my artist blog, if you'd like to see it: http://papermoon-phthalo.blogspot.com/. Haven't posted there in a year, but this date is important.

namaste said...

oh nik, what a beautiful tribute. i am so glad that our paths have crossed. we went from blog friends to family friends. thank you for this heartfelt, loving tribute.

love & hugs,

maria

skiriki said...

Nikki, thanks for visiting my site and for your kind words about my work. I appreciate it. :-) I'll be posting regularly soon. I've got a bunch of sketches scanned and ready to be uploaded and one soon-to-be-finished drawing.

Sandi said...

Beautiful post. It was a horrible time in our history, but, for a brief while, a very uniting one, too.