Wednesday, August 24, 2011

SEPTEMBER 11....10 YEARS AGO AND TODAY


The ten year anniversary is fast approaching for the attacks on September 11Th. I remember that day vividly, as I am sure all of you do. I remember turning on the television just as the first tower was coming down and screaming about the people who were undoubtedly still in the building. It was completely emotional and strangely life altering. I don't think I left the house for days. I was glued to the TV and would often meet up with neighbors in the middle of the street, at the grocery store and we would have conversations of disbelief and angst. It was community therapy standing in line at the post office. We were merely reaching out in the most random places to feel human again or to know that humanity was still out there. The country had changed for the better, for a moment.
Americans were sporting flags on their cars, in their yards, on their clothing, in their hair and everywhere! We were Americans united by the atrocities imposed by evil-doers. We were thick as thieves, bonded by tragedy and for the common good gave blood, held fund-raisers, spoke kinder, used our manners and had more patience, for a moment. The tune changed not long after we invaded Afghanistan and the country began to debate, accuse and theorize about nonsensical paranoia bound criticism of a popular President and his dominating party.
Operation piss on Bush was up and running shortly after the towers fell and Bush gained support, control and exuded the leadership necessary to offer an atmosphere of security once again. Say what you will about George's grammar, he became a legitimate leader in a very dark time for America. Debate is good, don't get me wrong, but let's not act like Dem's were enjoying the impeccable handling of this horrific situation. It didn't sit well and soon patriotism became an accusation and not a feeling of pride in ones country. Within a year heads were spinning. It wasn't cool to be patriotic anymore and soon the climate had become what it once was, a polarizing struggle for power through intimidation. The right accused those who disagreed of being unpatriotic and the left accused the right of being a police state. Little did the democrats know that under a black democratic President who it was thought would be the most civilly minded President EVER, would offer the most secretive administration ever known and the most invasive policies to don our bodily crevices while at the airport. Patriot act? How about the check my body cavity act and invade my fat intake act, now there's some questions for the ACLU. The lefts silence is deafening. Their angst at the Patriot act was artificial, fraudulent and more importantly hypocritical. But who didn't know it?
Here we are 10 years later and we have a President who is a democrat and is the most incompetent President this country has ever had. I hope all you little donkey's are thanking President Obama for keeping previous protection policies in place from the Bush administration so we can live...other than the airport grope policy. But, patriotism is at an all-time low because of the efforts to define patriotism as intimidation by the left. It is no longer popular to love our country...unless your President is black.
I love America, even with her scars of the passed. It pains me to even have to word it in such a way. Why can't I just say that I love my country without having to acknowledge passed sins? I'll try it again. I love America. I am a proud American who wouldn't live anywhere else. Ten years ago our country was invaded and that war continues and I support the effort to rid the world of TERRORISTS who oppress, bully and intimidate for their evil causes. I believe in good and in evil. America is good, for the most part. I threw that in because nobody is perfect and we still have democrats living here. I stand by America even under this President who I find to be a complete nincompoop. Living in America with a less than average President kicks ass on living in Europe any day!
I still mourn the loss of life 10 years later and thank my fellow Americans who, if only but for a brief moment, felt united and love of country on that day. We are all Americans. Some of you just forgot what it meant to be sucker punched when your head was down. I can't and won't ever forget. God Bless America and to the survivors of those lost on 9/11, God bless you.
For more information about the rest of the interview click here: National Geographic The War continues

11 comments:

namaste said...

i'm so glad you shared what happened to you that day and in the days that followed. and you mention all the flags flying after 9-11. so true! i never owned a flag until that time!

a poignant video, nik. i actually was disappointed to see it end.

Nikki said...

Thanks Namaste!! I will find out more info on the documentary with Bush in it. It is going to air on the National Geographic channel soon....I think it looks great!! :)N

Nikki said...

I posted a link with info on it before the video!!

tammy said...

Great post Nikki. I'll never forget that day either and I won't apologize for being patriotic. I cannot wait until this reign of incompetence is over.

Nikki said...

Thanks Tammy! :)N

The Vineyard said...

President Bush is the real deal. And yes, I love this country and have great hopes for our future, despite the current nonsense in D.C.

Nikki said...

Vineyard, I agree.....it's ironic to have "hope" in spite of the hope that was offered. smiling. :)N

Libby said...

Hey, Y'all misunderstood Nobama.. He was offering DOPE not HOPE. It had to be the reason so many youngsters voted for him. Well anyway,, we got a DOPE ..that's for sure!!

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

patriotism became an accusation and not a feeling of pride in ones country"

you always have a telling statement in your posts.

Well I for one have always been proud of my country even before my adult life.

Great tribute.

Nikki said...

Thanks Lisa....:)N